Stream music from phone instead of downloading

I notice on the Astriga app that it downloads every song when playing. Is there a way to turn this off and just stream from the server?

Comments

• KoenKoen Member, Former

What exactly do you mean? Astiga streams your music (it starts playing before it finishes downloading), but it does keep a temporary copy on your device. However, this is not really different from any other music player as far as I am aware (e.g. Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music), with the main difference that Astiga shows what has been stored temporarily using the purple pin icon. It will also be automatically removed after some time.

You can change that behaviour in the Settings -> Cache/Network. If you set it to not preload, and a cache size of 50MB, it should remove the files almost instantly. The playback may be less smooth however, especially if you have a spotty connection.

• I agree that one would expect a cache for a temp download. I have settings for 0MB cache and 0 preload. Cache doesn't seem to clear though once the song is over.

The cleaner does not remove a song directly after it is played, it generally takes some time (how long depends on a list of factors).

May I ask why you want those files to be deleted immediately?

• I guess they don't have to be removed immediately as long as they do get removed. I only noticed this, because another music app I have installed (only plays offline) started importing the files. I hadn't seen that behavior before using other music apps.

So in the end, it's really not a problem, I was just more curious.

I do absolutely love that I can switch between my music and book libraries and astiga remembers where I left off on my book. That is a huge plus that I haven't found in any other cloud type player.

edited August 2020

Ah, yes. You can check whether there's a folder .nomedia in /Android/media/ga.asti.android, if there's not, create it. Then your media player should ignore the files in it.