AndroidTV application

CambionnCambionn Member
edited December 2020 in Feature requests

I've got myself one of those new Chromecasts with GoogleTV (which in itself runs on AndroidTV and has all it's apps). Video streaming services all work nicely so far. And with some effort, I could install Kodi with the Subsonic plug-in to play my Astiga library, and with the Kobi last.fm plug-in I also got it to scrobble. I'm also rather happy that it can use my playlists etc from Astiga in Kobi.

However it's really clumsy in usage when you want to browse songs. The Kodi Subsonic plug-in isn't very user friendly for those with big libraries. You need to scroll trough the entire library to find stuff and it takes a long time to load larger folders. Next to that I need to start up Kodi just to start-up Subsonic to access my Astiga files instead of moving into my music library right away. It also doesn't support anything above 320kbps (it compresses higher files). It also often can't load album art to the ambient screen, resulting in a Kobi logo standing there most of the time. Yet, despite all those downsides, I couldn't find another Subsonic app that works on Android TV either.

A Native Astiga app would be a really nice alternative, since the current Android app can't be installed under normal conditions and Kodi is maybe a bit much when you just want a simple music player.

Perhaps the phone app can somewhat easily be made compatible with Android TV using the tablet-friendly interface (which I'm assuming exists since I have no tablet)? Or else something based on the web interface (which I guess would be easy to handle with the arrow buttons on most remotes including the Google one since they have clear "boxes")?

Post edited by Cambionn on

Comments

• @gravelld You asked me some time ago if there were treads for all my requests and bugs. I got some spare time so I figured I'll go by them, tagging you in those existing and still relevant as they can be a bit old.

• gravelldgravelld Administrator
    edited October 2021

@Cambionn Thanks (in advance for the other threads too!)

• Have you tried to cast? Works flawlessly when casting to Android TV

• Yup I can cast. But I want to be able to open and control with my Chromecast controller (I got the ), so that not just I but also guests can choose music without giving them my phone or signing in to my account on their's, and so I don't have to rely on my phone for controlling my TV.