[Suggestion] Use exponential volume scale

AKSooAKSoo Member
edited March 2021 in Feature requests

I recently noticed how oddly the Astiga browser player interacted with pulseaudio's sink input volume. Intuitively, I would expect midpoint of Astiga's volume control to correspond with 50% sink volume, but currently, I need to set Astiga's volume to around 1/5 to get 50% volume.

The problem seems to be that Astiga uses linear volume scale. This results in a volume control that is too sensitive at left end and nearly useless at right end. You can read more about this here:

or for a simpler discussion

I don't know what library you used for the music player, but you can fix this by applying an exponential function or just x^4 to the UI volume as described in the first link.

Comments

• KoenKoen Member, Former

Correct, the volume control may be linear at the moment. Astiga sets the volume to a value between 0.0 and 1.0 (that's what the slider does), and your browser turns that into an effective media volume, which need not be linear. I am not sure whether any browser/OS implements it as a non-linear curve though, but the specification allows it.

• AKSooAKSoo Member

Ah ok, this is a browser problem: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1362312

You can close this if you wish.