Disable scrobbling outside webapp/official apps.

CambionnCambionn Member
edited November 2023 in Feature requests

Bit odd one maybe. But it's an issue I've run into.

Some subsonic apps (including Tempo) scrobble played music automatically without needing to log into Last.FM on there. It seems it grabs my Last.FM login from the Astiga server.

The thing is, I wish to scrobble trough a secondary dedicated app due to the extra features and settings. I already but a feature request in with Tempo for disabling this.

However beside of that, I don't want any app to have access my account without explicit permission. And I gave explicit permission to Astiga (and the secondary app I use, Pano Scrobbler), not Tempo. Of course I gave Tempo access to my Astiga account, but I'd like to think that shouldn't include access to third party services unrelated to playback itself (I get storage is needed for example) like Last.FM. Or at least should be disable-able.

If I simply disable scrobbling in Astiga it also stops scrobbling on PC. Which is not what I want.

Is there a way Astiga could block secondary apps from accessing my Last.FM account without permission? Or a setting to make scrobbling web-app only (as the regular Astiga apps also seems to authenticates as a third party app based on the fact it needs to token when MFA is enabled).

I get they don't get the login, but they do get access in an indirect way and you'd have to rely on the third party to use it nicely. Being able to disable it makes it so that you only have to worry about the link Astiga <-> App instead of also the link Third Party Services <-> Astiga while choosing an app. While currently that's only Last.FM as far as I know off, in further development this could theoretically lead to an unnecesary complex system of who has access to where through what, which I find unfavorable.

Comments

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Are you sure Tempo actually performs the scrobble (contacting Last.FM), or just requests Astiga to do so?

In theory we could simply not scrobble for certain third party apps, assuming the app faithfully communicated which app they are.

• CambionnCambionn Member
    edited November 2023

Are you sure Tempo actually performs the scrobble (contacting Last.FM), or just requests Astiga to do so?

I don't know if Tempo scrobbles, or asks Astiga to scrobble. The effect is that when using Tempo, a scrobble will be send after a song is fully finished despite never signing in to Last.FM in Tempo nor being able to turn it off.

In theory we could simply not scrobble for certain third party apps, assuming the app faithfully communicated which app they are.

This would be great! I guess another approach would be to only scrobble on official apps, then only apps that communicate to be yours scrobble (which would be more error proof in the sense that they would have to purposefully mimic it instead of just doing it "wrong"). Either way works for me.

Post edited by Cambionn on
  • gravelldgravelld Administrator

Thanks for confirming... I guess we would have to do this defensively, in the sense that we never know what client apps could do.