3 bugs found

luckygandalfluckygandalf Member
edited February 18 in Bugs

I am a big music consumer and an IT trainer, and I haven't found any service like yours! This deserves that I conduct a training for my clients to make your service known.

That said, I have found 3 bugs:

• We sometimes use apostrophes in French. Example: "L’emprise" And the system does not find the titles when there are apostrophes in them and when conducting a search.
  • An error is displayed (Slim Application Error A website error has occurred. Sorry for the temporary inconvenience.) when clicking on an artist who actually has 2 artists, separated by a comma. Example: "David Bowie, Trevor Jones"
  • At least half of the AIFF files are unreadable. I had to convert them to WAV, then there were no problems!

So far, I haven't found anything else that wasn't working, and believe me, I am picky and I see all the problems :-D

Best regards,

Comments

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Thanks @luckygandalf ! I'll look into the cause of those in the coming few days...

We sometimes use apostrophes in French. Example: "L’emprise" And the system does not find the titles when there are apostrophes in them and when conducting a search.

I just ran some tests on this. I can see that by playing about with the underlying text search I can make this work, but the queries we are sending don't result in any results. If you just search for "emprise" I think it should work - but does that not make much sense? My limited knowledge of French is that "l'" is just the shortened form of "the".

An error is displayed (Slim Application Error A website error has occurred. Sorry for the temporary inconvenience.) when clicking on an artist who actually has 2 artists, separated by a comma. Example: "David Bowie, Trevor Jones"

Looks like this is the same bug as one we're just fixing - hopefully the fix should be out on Tuesday. In the meantime, if you replace "artist" with "band" in the URL it should work:

https://play.asti.ga/band/David%20Bowie,%20Trevor%20Jones

At least half of the AIFF files are unreadable. I had to convert them to WAV, then there were no problems!

Could you give me a path to an example file of this?

• Hello, thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I no longer have AIF files; I've replaced everything with WAV. But I'm not surprised because AIF is very proprietary and often has recognition issues on some systems.

Yeah... but would've liked to have looked into that all the same. No worries! 🙂

• You're right, it's not a solution to circumvent the problem. So, I have uploaded an AIF album that was problematic among others for you to take a look at. The playback of some tracks never starts. Here is the path: https://play.asti.ga/album/Violator/Depeche%20Mode

Another thing I've noticed is that if we want to switch to an annual subscription, we don't have that option in the account. Am I required to cancel the current one (monthly) to then take out an annual one?

Thanks for the AIFF files.

Erggh - yes we need an upgrade option. For now, if you could cancel your current one and restart with annual that would be easiest. I'll refund the remainder of the monthly plan. Let me know you've done it, because it's a manual process.

I've worked out the AIFF problem and... wow.

I just worked on one file - the first track in the album you mentioned. I suppose other tracks could have different problems, but let's ignore that possibility for now.

The problem is that the cover art embedded in the file is declared as a PNG, when it's actually a JPEG. If I change the metadata about the image to say it's a JPEG, it plays fine.

For file types like AIFFs, and because they aren't supported for playback for the Web, we convert them to FLACs. We use a common tool called ffmpeg for this. When we perform the conversion, this fails.

I've tried working with ffmpeg to ignore this, but the only way I can get it to work is if it ignores all encoding, including the audio encoding. I don't think this is useful because we want the error message for such cases. So I'll look into whether we can better communicate the underlying issue.

• Thank you for looking into the problem so quickly... Does this mean it's better to use WAV or FLAC then? Because I'm not looking for compression, I find it a shame to compress when storage is no longer an issue. That might have been true 5 or 10 years ago, but today... Otherwise, I have a tool to convert all my AIF files to WAV or FLAC.

FLAC is always my recommendation unless there's something else in your setup which precludes its use (it can be a pain in the Apple ecosystem, although not insurmountable).

The formats that are not transcoded are:

• aac
    • flac
    • mp3
    • ogg
    • oga
    • opus
    • wav