Minimised Floating Window in desktop app(s)

Is there a way to have a floating window that would show the now playing album art and name of track with play/pause and skip fwd/bwd?

Thanks!

Comments

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Do you mean like a mini player? We don't have this, but it's a nice idea. Would be good to integrate it into the OS somehow (e.g. in the notification bar).

• Yes this exactly. Notification bar would be cool, but I tend to like the minimized players that I can move around depending on what programs I'm using.

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Good point...

• Do you mean like a mini player? We don't have this, but it's a nice idea. Would be good to integrate it into the OS somehow (e.g. in the notification bar).

In this case, it could work as being minimized to tray (to the little logo's left on your taskbar), and having controls in it once clicked. I know at least Windows and any modern Linux DE based on Qt and GTK will allow this (and if need be, can fall back on each other if no native version exists). I don't have much experience with Mac software but I can't imagine this being an option.

Notification bar would be cool, but I tend to like the minimized players that I can move around depending on what programs I'm using.

In this case, I guess it would have to be a widget. Again Windows and modern Qt and GTK based Linux DE should support it, Mac I don't know but I can't imagine it doesn't. Although I'm not sure if widgets are allowed to be shown over software or only on desktop.

I think the current (official) desktop app is Electron-based, or at least is using some kind of web wrapper? That is, purely based on the fact the desktop looks exactly the same as the web version, and some small functionalities like checking last sync log don't work in desktop due to it not being allowed to open new windows. But point is, I know Electron (technically) allows for tray icon stuff although I never used it much myself as I hate web development. As for widgets, I have no clue.

Personally, I'd actually prefer the first option, having it minimized in tray with basic controls/settings when clicked on it. Minimizing in tray also allows for it to run without taking space in the taskbar (an option that shouldn't be removed, but it's a nice extra to be able to move it, especially on those times that you have many programs open), which is why I added it in my AUR build (but without player). Widgets, on the other hand, I personally avoid as I like to keep my desktop as clean as possible.