Android app: "Recently added" album page very very long to load

As said in the title, the Recently Added album page takes for ever to load... Makes the app unuseable... I must rely on other apps to enjoy my recently added music.

Other pages load quite quickly, Recently Played for example loads in a breeze.

Any way to fix this annoying sluggishness from hell ?

Regards,

Greg from Paris, France

Comments

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Thanks for pointing this out.

It looks like the way we display this list is not very performant. Basically, we look for all your albums, then we sort them by when they were added, then we take the top 20.

It would be better if we simply queried for the albums, ordering by the date, and limiting it to 20 results.

However, I think there might be some more subtleties here - supporting filtering by different music folders (storage) for example.

• I have quite a huge music collection indeed... But I noticed other streaming apps on my smartphone allow for a quick and easy "recently added" page, almost instantaneous refresh (Substreamer, Ultrasonic...).

This "recently added" bug is quite a show-stopper for the official Android app, because I use it a lot, of course, once I added albums to my collection...

Oh wait, sounds like there's more to this.

The problem I described above affects the server, so I'm surprised you're not seeing it with the other apps. Are you sure this is the same "recently added" list? Maybe the other apps are showing a cached list and the Astiga one isn't?

Also, this hasn't been "recently added" - there's no obvious recent change here.

• Hi,

here are some screenshots from my smartphone: Astiga "Recently added" view (with the "please wait" screen for at least one minute EACH time!), Substreamer's "Newest albums" and UltraSonic "Récemment ajoutés" page. Substreamer and UltraSonic manage to refresh the page in a second or two.

Every other page of my Astiga player works quickly, it's just the "Recently Added" page that is very very slow to access.

The three apps are connected to my Astiga music collection, which is hosted on my Microsoft Onedrive account.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10BFO77ruvEQgEDqHQnNC1OZdRb3Rfu4X?usp=sharing

This sounds like an app problem then. The bare database query takes about a second.

Thanks for the screenshots. Do you have "Large album art" enabled?

Hmmm, think I found something else.

The default D-Sub app loads, by default, 20 recent albums.

For some reason, the Astiga app tries to load 10,000 albums.

When this change was introduced it was as part of a fix in March to avoid loading too many images in parallel.

Completely unsubstantiated hunch: the 10,000 albums was test data to try to test the images were not downloaded in parallel, but got committed by mistake.

I think I could try to restore that and build a new version, but would have to look into the best way to distribute - I might be able to use the "alpha" release tracking in Play store, if you'd like to test it?

• "Large album art" not enabled in my Astiga player.

Willing to be part of an alpha release if it can help the good work!

Long live Astiga!

• Sounds good. Yes this is a problem, happy to help on a alpha/beta.

Sweet - thanks. This is in the current milestone to fix, so hopefully in the next week or so.

I've uploaded this to the beta track - https://community.asti.ga/discussion/412/1-5-10-beta/

As per the above discussion, this appears solved.