Mega question

I see the message that some features are not supported with mega storage. What features are not supported? Is this listed or documented somewhere? I was looking for a FAQ page. If that exists can you point me to it?

Comments

• KoenKoen Member, Former

All features are supported for MEGA, but whether they work tends to vary. Mainly larger audio files failing to load, or folder browsing randomly slowing down to a crawl. No idea why it happens, as there seems to be no pattern. Unfortunately MEGA only provide a reference implementation, and no documentation, so I cannot look up why it happens either. So if you want something that is always performant, then MEGA is not a good pick.

So that's the gist of it. There is no functionality that specifically does not work with MEGA, it is just that I cannot guarantee that it will work for all files, and that it will keep working in a performant manner.

Additionally, it may take up to an hour before the changes in your cloud storage become visible in Astiga, although this is not unique to MEGA (this is the case for OneDrive and Google Drive as well). Just something to keep in mind if you intend on moving files and folders around a lot.

• Ideally that wont be the case once files are uploaded. Do you have a recommended storage solution that seems to work the best? totally other question. are there instructions somewhere for getting the google assistant integration to work?

Do bear in mind that synchronising creates an index of your files - it does not store the files themselves. So any time your request /Music/Spanish Inquisition.mp3, it will retrieve that file from your cloud storage (e.g. MEGA).

As for which cloud storage is best, that depends on what you find important.

Purely based on performance, you are probably best off with Amazon S3 or compatible (such as DigitalOcean Spaces or Scaleway) in Western Europe (as close as possible to Amsterdam). WebDAV, FTP, SFTP, Dropbox, pCloud, Backblaze tend to be quick as well, again especially if the server is fast, and located close to Amsterdam. Also heavily depends on the server of course. Google Drive and OneDrive can be a bit slower due to rate limiting, and not adhering to the traditional file tree structure*, but once again you probably won't notice it.

But of course performance is just one metric. There's also cost, usability and functionality - and those are very much based on your personal needs and preferences.

So in short: it depends. When it comes to the best general (price/functionality/usability) package, I quite like pCloud, but then I have a vested interest, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Google Assistant integration will start working once Astiga finishes synchronising, and you open the Astiga app. When it will exactly pick it up, I don't know, that is some magic Google applies to determine what you probably want to do when you use Google Assistant. I don't think there's a way you can force that. But you don't have to enable anything for that.

* At the time of writing, folders in OneDrive/Google Drive are actually more like labels, and they don't have the same invariants a standard file system has. For example, /a/b/c.mp3 and /a/e/c.mp3 can both be the same file (as a file can exist in multiple folders at once, and thus have multiple parents), and /e/f/g.mp3 may apply to more than one file (as you can have two different "folders" (labels) with the same name). This means that unlike most other storage solutions, one cannot just request the content of /v/w/x/y/z, but rather has to request the children of the root, then find v, get the children of v, then find w, etc. etc. This is more work, and thus tends to take longer.

• Can Assistant play playlists from astiga? This is a major qualifier as we play playlists for my kids regularly as well as for ourselves

• Does your pCloud recommendation include the with pCrypto end-to-end encryption option, @Koen? Does Astiga support files stored with E2E encryption? I've been wanting to switch to Tresorit or pCloud or something similar for a while, but I don't really want to lose the ability to stream my music.

No, encrypted pCloud storage is not supported at the moment. I don't believe it was even possible for third-party apps to access the encrypted storage part, although that may have changed recently. The only end-to-end encrypted storage currently supported is MEGA, though bear in mind what the "end" is in this case. When you think of end-to-end encryption in an app like Signal, then the encryption "ends" at the Signal app. In the case of Astiga, encryption "ends" at Astiga, and not the Astiga app. So MEGA will not be able to see what the content of your files is, but Astiga can.

• Good to know, thank you!