pCloud tracks aren't playing reliably

ruffinruffin Member
edited June 2022 in Astiga web player

I've had increasing trouble the last couple of weeks with playing hanging, whether on initial load or after a track finishes. Sometimes reloading and trying again helps, particularly when I haven't played something in a while -- like I haven't opened a work laptop over the weekend. That's fine. But, eg, this morning I reloaded, played one song, and now have been waiting maybe five minutes for the next to start.

Sometimes clicking another song will kick things off. I often click another song and click the one I want quickly again and it'll kickstart it. That's not really a solution, though.

Sometimes I'll be in the middle of something else and not come back to reload and then, minutes to maybe hours later, the track starts playing.

No real pattern that I've seen yet, but it's getting to the point that it's unreliable as a music player.

I only use pCloud, fwiw.

Comments

• ruffinruffin Member

Have had it happen today with FLACs and 128 kbps mp3s [with everything in between, including m4p, I think] so file type doesn't seem a likely cause, fwiw.

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

I have noticed more memory contention in the past week or two:

• 2/6 in the morning and then in the evening
    • 5/6 from late morning to late afternoon
    • 6/6 in the evening
    • 7/6 in the early hours

(All BST).

I don't suppose you can remember if they may have correlated?

It's quite hard to track down what is causing this if we don't have some sort of timing correlation. I'll look into how we can log more too.

• Hi.

I´m a user of Pcloud. Around 25.000 files. No problems detected with cache or playback. Mostly MP3 and AAC files. A different variety of bitrates.

I´m in the EU cloud of Pcloud.

• ruffinruffin Member

Yesterday it was during the EDT workday -- intermittent from approximately 10am all the way through that last post at 3:50pm.

If you need specific times, you could probably view my listening history. If I'm mid-way through an album and it stops, that's usually (often?) Asti.ga. I'll try and mark if it happens today.

Thanks. There's a small amount of memory contention during the hours you mention, although not for the entire time period you suggest. That's not strong evidence either way though.

If you could mention other times it happens that would also be great.

I was reviewing code yesterday about this and noticed there are a few points we don't measure that could be responsible.

• ruffinruffin Member
    edited June 2022

10:30 EDT Okay, just happened a minute ago after Teasin' Brown North Mississippi Allstars. This time, it completely stopped. Didn't even have the bar at the bottom spinning.

11am EDT Just cut out midway through a song and started back up a few seconds later. I think that's different. I Got It Goin' On -- Us3 / Hand On the Torch 192kbps MP3

11:07 EDT Strange things afoot. A track (It's Like That -- Us3 / Hand On the Torch 192kbps MP3) restarted a few seconds in. I clicked another track and back to this one immediately afterwards to make sure it wasn't my file with an issue. It played as expected that second play, no restarted music. Edit: The next file did too. :weird:

Again, those last two seem like different issues.

Post edited by ruffin on

At 11am the search indexer started and it's been using a good chunk of CPU since then (six hours and counting).

Interestingly I think this is supposed to run every four hours - if it's taking longer that might suggest a problem. I'll look into this some more.

We have more detailed monitoring set up now, so if you have any other data points I can double check these.

• ruffinruffin Member

So far :cross-fingers: the last two days have been problem free. Will report when/if it acts weird again.

Even though it's a negative (the issue hasn't occurred), that can still be useful to compare to when/if it does happen again!

• CoyleyCoyley Member

Pcloud was down for me totally on Friday night UK time I think it was, so no streaming. I could also not get in via Pcloud's own app, so I am sure it was them.

Today I've been streaming without a problem continually all day UK time. Late at night UK time is when I notice the stopping and buffering most on Pcloud.

Yeah, they don't appear to have a status page... (not that a lot of cloud providers are 100% honest on their status page though...)

• I've been having this same problem today (evening, US eastern time). Some albums just won't play, the player just hangs there buffering, and then other albums seem to play just fine. All my files are on Dropbox, fwiw.

I had this issue a few months ago and posted on here, and there wasn't really a solution but the problem did resolve like the next day. I'm just posting again because it sounds really similar to the OP of this thread, except I'm using Dropbox, not pCloud.

Thanks for the report. Might some of the albums be in different file formats/codecs?