"Recently Played" list refresh. Strange behaviour

paulspauls Member

Hello

For a few days already "Recently played" is causing problems. The list contained up to the last 75 albums already played and only put at the top of the list the albums not part of this list

Ex :

[L] [K] [J] [I] [H] [G] [F] [E] [D] [C] [B] [A]

- I play the [F] album. The list does not change

[L] [K] [J] [I] [H] [G] [F] [E] [D] [C] [B] [A]

- I play the [M] album. The list is growing

[M] [L] [K] [J] [I] [H] [G] [F] [E] [D] [C] [B] [A]

Thank's

Comments

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Are you talking about the Android app or the web app?

• I'm talking about the Android app. Both on my smartphone and on my tablet so I guess the problem is on the server side

• paulspauls Member
    edited October 2022

Always the same behavior with the "Recently played" list.

I don't think it's the same problem as the one mentioned in your link although between last night and this morning I could no longer display the different lists of Astiga. I had this message "A network error occured. Please check the server address or try again later". And both on smartphone and tablet no problem accessing the internet with all my other applications

My problem has actually been going on for several weeks. Maybe two?

Oh, ok. It's not the same then. I'll try to replicate this later.

• Thank you

This is a minor bug that does not prevent Astiga from working correctly. So it's a little annoying but not serious either.

Maybe I could move the subdirectories of my main tree, wait an hour and then put them back?

Could it be a kind of reset?

I haven't looked into it, so I'm afraid I can't recommend on that right now.

That said, I've re-read and I don't quite understand:

The list contained up to the last 75 albums already played

Ok - it shows the last 75 albums played...

and only put at the top of the list the albums not part of this list

... I don't understand what you mean by "not part of this list". Is it showing the last 75 albums, or all albums apart from the last 75?

In your example with "F" and "M" (I assume these are just representing album names btw) what is the issue? It still shows the last 75 albums. When "M" was played it was added to the list (which I'd expect).

Is the issue the ordering - "F" should be moved to the start of the list?

• paulspauls Member
    edited October 2022

Yes

The list shows the last 76 albums listened to in the reverse order to their first appearance in the list. 

When playing, the "M" album which is not in the list is added to the first place of the list. What I expect.

When playing, the "F" album which is part of the list is not moved to the first place of the list when it should be.

The "Recently Played" list is growing again. Now 76 albums in it. If I listen to all my albums. Probably more than 500 so the "Recently played" list will end up being the same size.

And if I re-listen to the first album listened to 3 months ago for example and which is at the end of the list, it will not be placed at the top of the list.

And the web application displays the first 12 albums in the list in the same order as the Android app. 12 because it must be a limitation imposed by the web application.

So if I play an album already present in the list but located after the 12th position then it will never be visible in the "Recently played" display of the web application. If it is located before the 13th position it will just keep its place in the list

Post edited by pauls on

Ok, thanks. I'll look into this some more, work out what's going on, and create a ticket to rectify it.

• Merci!

Just taking a look at this...

I don't see anywhere where 75 albums is enforced as a limit. Or maybe I misunderstand - were you just reporting that as the count that was reported? It makes sense then that listening to another album makes the list 76. We do have a limit on the server of 200 albums.

I think I can see the problem. When the query for most recent albums is run, it doesn't select the very-latest play for an album as being representative of when the album was last played. I'll add a ticket for this.

• paulspauls Member
    edited October 2022

Before it started bugging the list on the Android app was always variable in size but not very large. In relation to what I understand with the cache size in my case limited to 2000 MB. 99.5% of my files are in .flac format so the 2000 MB are quickly reached. So I'm surprised to have 76 albums in this list now. But maybe that's normal? Sometimes when listening to files in very high definition or albums in 6 volumes the list only contained 4 or 5 albums, maybe even less.

That list is just a report, basically, of the albums/songs you have been playing - as far as I can see I don't think it has any relationship to the cache of music files on your device. If you use both the Web app and the app it will show a combination of your usage, not just from the app, say.

• paulspauls Member
    edited October 2022

Ok. I was sure it was related because that's what I had seen several times. In any case I am sure, very often I found myself with 3 or 4 entries in the list "Recently played"

So in my opinion under certain conditions the list can be reduced. So it's probably correlates to the number of tracks played previously

In addition to a messaging app, if I had to go to a desert island with just one app, it would be Astiga!

Post edited by pauls on
  • Something that might be important. I was a beta tester for several months then I unsubscribed because I was looking for the origin of the bugs on my tablet. Maybe it generated inconsistencies on the control data ?

Thanks for continuing to think through this, and also your kind words about Astiga.

It's possible re. the beta testing, although less likely. The nature of the database query for recently played tracks, right now, is there there's a degree of non-determinism about the order of the "plays" returned. Thus, it's less easy to reason about the behaviour.

Can we get the fix out I mentioned above, and then re-assess?

• I'm not sure I understand "Can we get the fix out I mentioned above, and then re-assess ?"

I am French and I use google translation a lot to communicate. Anyway I retested "Recently played" and still the same behavior

Sorry - I wrote above:

I think I can see the problem. When the query for most recent albums is run, it doesn't select the very-latest play for an album as being representative of when the album was last played. I'll add a ticket for this.

"I'll add a ticket for this." means I've documented the issue and it's in the queue to be fixed, but it isn't yet.

Once that is done, I'm suggesting we re-assess the issue to see if it's working ok for you.

• Ok

Other than this slight bug Astiga works fine so it's not a big deal

Thank you !