Astiga isn't responding

I made use of the playlist import feature for the first time today. I have a playlist that contains over 10,000 tunes from my pCloud My Music directory. It is an m3u8 playlist that contains relative paths. I used the bulk playlist import feature, because I could find no other way to import a playlist. This bulk import takes a very long time. All of my playlists exists in the root of My Music and no place else. I have two m3u8 playlist files in the root. One of them named Electronica_Mix.m3u8 exist one time, but it gets shown several times. This is the large one containing over 10,000 tracks.

I did allow this playlist to complete while running overnight, and I do see it in the web application and the Android app. The Android app is facing issues with this playlist. I constantly see messages stating Astiga is not responding. However, the app is not stuck. It actually does play music successfully, but the not responding messages keep showing over and over. I can either ignore them or click wait. When I click wait they simply show up again even though the app is not frozen.

Here's a couple of screenshots:

That single file exist just one time, but it gets repeated. Tomorrow it may show at least four more times.

This is the Android Astiga isn't responding message that shows over and over. The app is not frozen and plays music successfully. There was a long pause with the playlist load.

Comments

• DrystDryst Member

I rebooted the Android phone, loaded the playlist again shuffled, and now I am playing from home without seeing the unresponsive message. I am not sure the cause, but this issue seems to have gone away for now. I will try it again from my vehicle to see if the message returns later.

• DrystDryst Member
    edited April 2023

I allowed the bulk import to run overnight. I never got to see playlist number two added:

These are the two playlists in the root of My Music:

• DrystDryst Member

This issue above returned today. I am again seeing Astiga is not responding under Android even though playback continues successfully. Even with playback stopped, I get the not responding messages repeatedly. It seems there's some background process causing this issue.

• DrystDryst Member

When I force stop the Astiga app, the messages go away. They return as soon as I launch the app followed by a delay of it scanning I would imagine.

• DrystDryst Member

Okay this issue only happens from my vehicle. I am again playing from my mobile phone connected via my home WiFi and I am not seeing the not responding messages at all.

My Android phone is connected through my vehicle's WiFi hotspot. It has something to do with that WiFi connection.

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Do you think it is the wifi connection, or the connection from the car to mobile data? Because I'd have thought the latter would be slower...

That said, a "not responding" message normally would indicate slowdown *on the device* e.g. from over CPU use.

I'm interested in any further observations you make...

• DrystDryst Member
    edited April 2023

My vehicle has a WiFi hotspot. It's broadband. My mobile phone automatically connects to it. It's not mobile Internet.

Also it happens only some of the time but not always. I can probably stream from pCloud with no issue now.

Wifi is the connection between the car and the phone. I'm assuming you have an Internet connection as well (you said "broadband" and I thought you were using Astiga over the Internet rather than synced to the phone) - this would be mobile internet, not wifi.

• DrystDryst Member
    edited April 2023

I interpret mobile Internet as 5G cellular Internet. What I am trying to state is that my phone is absolutely not using that. It is using WiFi connection to my vehicle.

• DrystDryst Member
    edited April 2023

I just took my Samsung Galaxy tablet that is WiFi only to my vehicle and ran a speed test from Google.

These are my typical speeds and ping times:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/i85fgkuwmh4wlhg/samsung_galaxy_tablet.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Looks plenty fast! But couldn't there still be problems if the connection is lost to the Internet entirely? For example, take a look at this bug report (which is submitted against the codebase that the Astiga app is derived from): https://github.com/daneren2005/Subsonic/issues/1136

Also, as a workaround could you use the sync function to bring the music onto your device and play from there?

(Sorry if I'm not understanding this fully, btw).

• DrystDryst Member

I can certainly try syncing and playing offline.

What is confusing about this scenario I describe is that the app is fully operational and plays music without issue. There is not even a delay. It does not look like a bad Internet connection; otherwise, the FLAC files being streamed would not playback perfectly. During this perfect playback, I am seeing Astiga is unresponsive messages on repeat. This part does not make sense to me. I would suspect some process in the code is hogging CPU only on occasion. It looks code related, and I would be happy to install a debug version that has logging to help identify the issue.

• DrystDryst Member

Also, this issue started after loading my 10,000+ playlist too. Prior to importing it, I never saw this issue.

Yeah, you're right, it does feel like some background CPU issue. I was also just latching onto the point that it only occurred in the car, but that could also be unrelated to connectivity.

• DrystDryst Member
    edited April 2023

a work-around for the not responding message that will make itstop showing is to click close instead of wait. The not responding message will even appear when the main Astiga Android app is not even running close will stop it. Clicking close does not interfere with the main Astiga app. It will still work properly even after you click close. Close simply terminates the background process that is hogging CPU.

Thanks for that! 👍

• DrystDryst Member
    edited December 2023

This is now happening 100% of the time on my home broadband network.

The astiga mobile app is continuously displaying not responding over and over until I force close the application.

Here is an example of the situation that happened minutes ago from my Android phone connected over my home wifi network:

Hi @Dryst - although the message is the same, I don't think this problem you've reported is related to this thread, which is about playlist import.

Could you create a new thread, and specify your Android version, device and Astiga app version?

• This was the exact same scenario. A play list import introduced this issue. The difference is that it now happens on my home broadband.

Sorry - where is the playlist import in the Astiga app?

Or are you saying you've started a playlist import in the Web app, and it makes the Astiga app stop responding?

• Did you read the initial post where I clearly stated that a bulk import is what introduced this issue?

Yes, I did. What I don't understand is how this affects the mobile app - they are independent.

Can you give me the full sequence you follow to reproduce the issue? It sounds like you are starting bulk imports, so it must include that for me to understand what you are seeing - you didn't mention it at all in your post of 26th December.

• I have several m38u playlists that have been Bulk Imported and exists within play.astiga.com. This was what I originally referred to as playlist import. The playlist import completed and is done. Playlists now exists within my astiga account. That part is over.

The problem I originally stated and continues to happen is that the astiga mobile app stops responding. This is the issue. Originally you were thinking that my mobile speed is not fast enough. I shared speed tests screenshots showing that I have plenty of bandwidth. What is happening now is that the mobile app is now not responding over broadband. It is the mobile app that is facing issues, and this is the exact same issue I originally posted.

The work-around to get this to work is to click close app instead of wait when prompted. In addition to this, I must force close the astiga mobile app. After I do this, I can start the mobile app again, and after a lengthy delay, playback works without the not responding messages.

Ok, thanks, I understand now. I'll dive into this in the coming week.

I can see the playlist is over 10k tracks in your second screenshot in your OP.

One question: where is the cache located for the app? Check Settings -> Cache/Network -> Cache location .

If it's external, can you try choosing a new internal location? See https://github.com/daneren2005/Subsonic/issues/1140 which is for an app based on the same codebase.

• DrystDryst Member
    edited January 2

My mobile phone has a 1 TB micro SD card. Cache is located there.

Additionally, I am now playing a playlist that has over 6,000 songs. The one over 10,000 was my first playlist that I have already played all content. My current playlist is smaller, and the one I am now playing all the time. It has the same issue.

Yeah - the issue above suggests it can happen on much smaller playlists ("874 tracks" is mentioned). Am I right in thinking your playlist would be too large for internal storage to try that out?

I'm not suggesting this is a fix btw, I'm just trying to isolate the problem.

• DrystDryst Member

I can try changing it to internal storage to see what happens. The mobile app automatically set it to my SD card. I did not have to change this at all.

If you could let me know, that would be interesting.