Songs intermittently play muted on Pixel 8

SocSoc Member

After switching phones from a Pixel 3 to a Pixel 8, I noticed an issue with playback on the new phone that I didn't have on the previous one.

In short, about every second song will 'play' but produce no audio: to regain audio, the song needs to be restarted by pressing 'previous'.

Steps:

1. Start a playlist, e.g. random songs from a linked library.
  2. First song will play normally.
  3. Often, but not 100% of the time, when Astiga moves on to the second song, no audio can be heard but the app and Android Media bar both show that the song is progressing.
  4. Interestingly, and probably an important part of the issue: if the song is left to finish, Astiga will actually keep counting time beyond the length of the audio file! E.g. I tested with a 3:00 song, and watched the time counter exceed 5:30 before stopping the test.
  5. If the song is restarted by pressing the 'previous' button, audio will play as normal.
  6. If the 'mute' song is either restarted or skipped, the third song will play normally. About 80-90% of the time, the fourth song will be mute again, otherwise most likely the fifth song will be mute. This pattern then repeats.

Some factors I've tested:

• This happens both on WiFi and Data.
  • This happens both when playing over phone speakers, and over Bluetooth headsets.
  • I disabled and enabled DLNA Gapless Playback but this makes no difference.
  • The issue does not seem to be linked to any particular song: reloading a random playlist again causes the second or third song to have this issue.
  • Songs are cached normally including album art, metadata, and do not need to be re-loaded when pressing 'previous'.
  • The previous song does not need to play in its entirity: it seems that the issue occurs during the 'natural' transition from one song to the next. In fact, pressing 'next' will always cause the next song to play properly.
  • Pausing and resuming a song does not 'unmute' it: only restarting it with either the 'previous' button or by scrolling to a particular time point in the song will cause the audio to come back. Interestingly, when a mute song is 'unmuted' by scrolling, the 'play/pause' button remains in the 'press to start playing' mode (triangle shape, as if the song was paused) and becomes unresponsive, meaning the song cannot be paused.

The phone runs Android 14, with all the latest updates, and Astiga has been updated to the latest version on the Play Store.

Comments

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Would it be possible to send a log as per https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/bug-report#bugreportdevice ?

- You need to enable the developer tools first (the first step)

- Try replicating the bug

- You should get a way of sharing the report at the end - choose whichever method is convenient so you can send it on to us

- You only need to follow the steps under "Capture a bug report from a device", not the rest of it.

• SocSoc Member

Thanks, I created a report and just sent an e-mail with a WeTransfer link. Please let me know if this report doesn't contain anything relevant, and/or if you want me to do further testing.

edited September 10

Thanks for the bug report. Does this sound like https://github.com/daneren2005/Subsonic/issues/1081 or https://github.com/daneren2005/Subsonic/issues/1122?

What file format are you playing? Thanks to your excellent email I was able to find this! You are playing 320kbps MP3s, at source, by the looks of it, which are mentioned in the above threads as being affected.

To call out a few ideas from that thread:

• You mentioned "DLNA Gapless Playback" but what about Playback -> Other settings -> Gapless playback? Can you try disabling that and restarting?
    • Try in offline mode.
    • Set "Songs to preload" to 0, remove the cache for an album, then try playing it again.

(These aren't fixes, just workarounds).

• SocSoc Member

Yeah, sounds like I've got the same situation on my hands as the threads you linked. I tried each of your suggestions independently: sorry that I didn't try Other -> Gapless myself, that would have been an obvious choice but I missed that option. At any rate, I can tell you that setting Gapless to off, or caching to 0, both work to keep songs from playing muted. Playing in offline mode does not.

Ok, thanks for that, it's possible we've narrowed the problem slightly.