IceDrive?

Able to add storage option of Icedrive?

Not on the list. I assume this is currently unavailable? Will it be added in the future?

Comments

• KoenKoen Member, Former

Icedrive is supported via WebDAV. For more information, see https://icedrive.net/help/account/does-icedrive-support-webdav

• AgistaAgista Member
    edited November 2020

Just heads up that IceDrive's WebDAV support will be phased out on 1/1/2021.

Post edited by Agista on

@Agista Do you have any source for that? I cannot find anything about that on their website.

• AgistaAgista Member
    edited November 2020

Only today I saw an email from them, sent on Nov 28, saying that their webDAV support will be phased out by the new year.

@Agista Understood, I will see what their alternative is, and whether there is enough demand to warrant the effort to implement it.

• I've been considering getting Ice Drive at some point, maybe. But I noticed their WebDav is going away (which is disappointing). But it would be nice to know that it'll work with Astiga, if I do get it.

@bobthegoat2001 I contacted IceDrive, and they will release the documentation of their own API once it becomes available for the general public, which is at the same time as they are sunsetting WebDAV support. Now, depending on what that looks like, IceDrive may be supported if there is sufficient demand. No promises though.

• Thanks for the update Koen! That's good they're going to release there own API at some point.

But I don't plan on getting Ice Drive anytime soon, if I do. I was hoping they were going to discount their 5 TB lifetime plan this previous Black Friday, like they did the previous year before ($299 vs $499), but they didn't (they just discounted a 2 TB lifetime plan). So I may wait till next Black Friday, unless I feel the urge to get it sooner. I'll just continue to use my 4 TB pCloud for now.

• AgistaAgista Member
    edited December 2020

If security is their main concern, they could have done what Koofr does. Koofr allows you to generate multiple, different passwords for WebDAV. This means that you can have 2-factor authentication and still be able to use WebDAV, unlike pCloud. While currently you can use your main account password as well as generated passwords for WebDAV access, they plan to stop allowing the main password to work with WebDAV from 1-1-2021. This is their rationale for doing so:

Using application-specific passwords not only prevents your main account password from being leaked by a third party but also limits the access of any such application. The apps that use application-specific passwords cannot change the settings, email address or account password, or log into the Koofr web or mobile app.

Here's hoping there will be some way for IceDrive to allow access for external applications.

Edit: I wrote this before I saw the last two comments.

@Agista They are right from a security standpoint - the old method of entering your username and password in a third-party application has become quite dated. Nowadays we have portals, different scopes of permissions, limited-time tokens, two-factor authentication, etc. That does not mean that the old system is necessarily insecure, and especially with app passwords, it can still be secure.

That said, IceDrive wants to go further (source), and do all the encryption client-side (like MEGA currently does), which is not possible with WebDAV. Basically it boils down to IceDrive having no knowledge whatsoever what you have stored with them. It's a noble and interesting goal, however, it generally means a more work for the client-side implementation (which means the part at Astiga).

• AgistaAgista Member
    edited December 2020

New update from them:

WebDAV update (No longer phasing out)

Hi there,

We would just like to provide a further update on the status of WebDAV. We recently sent an update stating our plans to phase out the feature. After much feedback, it is clear that many still use and rely on the protocol so we have decided to keep supporting it. We will also go one better and add a USA WebDAV node early next year!

And finally, a happy New Year from all of us at Icedrive!

• That's good to know. If I purchased a Lifetime plan, I wouldn't have been too happy to know they were removing a feature, one that I'm sure would be using (since I use it in pCloud already).