Ending support for MEGA storage

KoenKoen Member, Former

This is a message to let you know that I plan to sunset MEGA storage support in Astiga starting June 1st, 2021.

Why?

MEGA support has been in beta since the start, and has never worked as reliably as expected. Whilst I have tried very hard to improve the reliability and performance, this has largely turned out to be unfruitful. Recently the system to get a token for MEGA broke, which made me decide to fully stop MEGA support. Further trying to fix it is unfortunately not economically viable for me.

What now?

References to MEGA have been removed from the website, as has the link to add your MEGA storage. Starting June 1st, support for MEGA will be removed. Until then, MEGA will continue working on a best-effort basis, although adding/changing accounts is no longer possible.

What should I do?

If you want to keep using Astiga, there are a couple things you could do:

• Connect your MEGA storage to Astiga via WebDAV or FTP using MEGAcmd. This does require some technical knowledge, and a server/computer you can have running when you want to use Astiga, although this can of course be a Raspberry Pi, a $1/month VPS, or a NAS.
  • Move your music to a different cloud storage. There are many others that work with Astiga, and you can combine them as well to suit your storage needs.

Comments

• Hi friend, 

It's a pity, for me Mega has always worked pretty fine with Astiga. I use it quite often and never had a problem. 

Unfortunately it makes Astiga useless for me, I obviously respect your decision, but it's really disappointing to me. 

Thank you for your efforts and kind regards,

• KoenKoen Member, Former

@Santillana I understand, and it is not a decision that was taken lightly, because I like MEGA, and I know others do to.

That said, you can still use Astiga in combination with MEGA using MEGAcmd. Unfortunately setting it up is not that simple, especially if you are not that familiar with the command line.

• This is an upsetting decision, but an understandable one. MEGA has always been quite finicky, even through their own client.

Are there any alternatives that you would recommend? I do intend to purchase pCloud storage and move all of my music onto it, but at the moment that is not a feasible solution and I'm using free cloud storage until I'm able to do so.

• :(