WiFi issue - Cannot connect 'A Network error occurred'

kalowskikalowski Member
edited August 2021 in Bugs

I cannot connect to astiga, the app or website, when online with WiFi. However, when I change to 4G it all works perfectly.

The app says it cannot connect to server and I get no connection on web player or this community using Android or Windows.

I have restarted devices and my router.

Any ideas? It worked perfectly yesterday.

Post edited by gravelld on

Comments

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

We discussed via email, and Chrome is showing this message:

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

That makes it sounds like a DNS issue when you are connected to your WiFi. It's saying there's no such domain ("NXDOMAIN") as asti.ga.

Do you have another device to try on your Wifi's network - e.g. a laptop? Can you visit https://community.asti.ga from there?

If so, maybe it's just DNS on your phone that is incorrectly configured. You can override it to use different DNS servers. See https://geeksadvice.com/how-to-fix-dns_probe_finished_nxdomain-error/#Fix_DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN_in_Android

• I was not able to connect to Astiga via app at all over last twenty four hours, the sync page or indeed this site. It's only in the last couple of hours it has come back.

Nothing had changed on my wifi.

edited August 2021

@Coyley Can you recall the error message you received? If it's just something generic like "A Network error occurred" it's not so useful. Something more specific from a browser, as above, might be more so.

• It's all devices on my network. Both Windows and Android. Someone at BT suggested a do a full reset if my router so I'll try that now.

• Factory reset didn't help. This is really frustrating. I used the app and the web interface at work today. Just not able on my own network!

• Had to change the DNS on both my windows device and my Android device. Now everything is working. :)

Ok - I have been out and found another network where this happens! I am in contact with our DNS provider and hope to get this sorted asap.

I'm concerned there's some sort of DNS misconfiguration that might be propogating.

I'm sending this from my wifi hotspot on my phone.

We can replicate this depending on the nameserver we are using.

Using Google:

$ nslookup asti.ga 8.8.8.8
    Server:      8.8.8.8
    Address:   8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:   asti.ga
    Address: 157.90.157.140
    Name:   asti.ga
    Address: 2a01:4f8:c010:520e::1

Using Verizon:

$ nslookup asti.ga 4.2.2.2
    Server:		4.2.2.2
    Address:	4.2.2.2#53

** server can't find asti.ga: SERVFAIL

It doesn't. However, we performed a dig +trace and now it does resolve.

I'm talking to the operators of the DNS about this... by which I mean: I sent them a support ticket. Hopefully will get this sorted asap.

THANKS FOR REPORTING!

This checker consistently shows a DNS server in Singapore, run by Verizon (if I'm interpreting the site correctly) is not resolving for asti.ga:

https://dnschecker.org/#A/asti.ga

I can hopefully use that server as a test case, as where I am now the DNS consistently resolves.

• When I say 'ask astiga to play *song* ' to my google home mini, it replies 'sorry, astiga is no longer available'. It was working a week ago for sure.

@busli Can you access https://play.asti.ga ? This might be another issue - we are also having to resubmit our Google Drive app because they wouldn't allow the app to be transferred between companies.

• Hi, I could not ge back here to now. I am getting same message as people mention.

I can get to Astiga via EE in UK (owned by BT but separate).

Wifi and Vodafone still not working as we know.

The hosters are currently saying "works for me!" so am trying to badger them some more to see if they have any idea on the cause.

• Hello and thanks for progressing this.

I can access the site and this forum on wifi, but the Android App says 'A network error occurred. please check the server address or try again later'.

I'm going to reboot my router just in case that's helpful.

What I'm about to suggest is not a fix, just a workaround. Also, I'm not expecting anyone to have to do this, I want this resolved properly ASAP.

However, it would be interesting to hear if these workarounds fix it for people....

Choose one of these apps to change your DNS server: https://techviral.net/best-dns-changer-apps/ . Change your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 (for Google's public DNS) or if you don't want to trust Google, use 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare).

Then report back whether this works.

• I rebooted my router and secondary mesh network and all is now working fine it seems.

Hmmmm. This is suggesting to me there is some caching going on somewhere.

Actually, I know there's some caching going on - that's how DNS works. What's puzzling is that any DNS server cached the inaccurate assumption asti.ga wasn't known.

At the moment, our best judgement is that "something" happened when we transferred the ownership of the asti.ga domain that has caused some ISPs to look up the domain name, fail, and cache the failure. It was possibly a temporary condition and those ISPs affected just happened to have made a query when the temporary condition was in place.

If you are running Windows, I think you can find your DNS server by opening Command Prompt and typing:

ipconfig /all

Look for the line "DNS Servers". Choose one and perform a lookup (assuming 67.0.0.1 was your DNS server):

nslookup asti.ga 67.0.0.1

If it works, you should see something like:

Non-authorative answer:
    Name:      asti.ga
    Addresses:    157.90.157.40

... although if you have this issue, it probably won't work. You can try Google's public DNS instead:

nslookup asti.ga 8.8.8.8

That, I hope, will work.

What would be most useful is if we get some more debug info. Try:

nslookup -debug asti.ga 67.0.0.1

(replace 67.0.0.1 with your DNS server)

Copy and paste the result into this thread - it might help to tell us when things will refresh and start working again.

What this all means is that, due to the way DNS works, and making the assumption that this was a temporary condition, we have to wait until DNS records are refreshed. This depends on the DNS server (and that's where the debug info might come in useful), but it might be a day or two.

I am fully prepared to send refunds for the days you did not have access to the service. No service = no value = no payment necessary! Send us an email to info@ and we'll process that, but wait, as above, at least a couple more days for service to be restored.

• I have seen that before on domain changes. I had similar moving over a global site at year end. I assumed it was related, good that we seem to be back now.

I cannot speak for others, but I'm not worried about a refund, put it in the coffee fund! I'm just relieved to have Astiga back up, it's on constantly here.

Thanks @Coyley

@kalowski Have you tried changing the DNS server back? I wonder if this might be resolved now...

Ok, I'm going to consider this solved now... but please let us know if you get further problems.

• Hi @gravelld, I've run into the same issue with the Astiga app. Any time I try to play a song it comes up with 'Waiting for Wi-Fi or local'. I can't figure out how it was resolved in the case above - nothing seems to be caching either.

Have reset router, removed and re-added account and reinstalled the app but with no success so far. Any help would be really appreciated.

When it happens in the app, can you go to https://asti.ga in your browser?

• Worth adding that I can't play via play.asti.ga on my phone, but can access the community.

• Sorry missed your comment. No I can't play from any device. I went to check if it was an issue with a recent sync, and this message comes up when I try to resync my library:

Slim Application Error

A website error has occurred. Sorry for the temporary inconvenience.

So you can see https://asti.ga in your browser ?

Just tried syncing - working for me at the moment.

Can you copy and paste the full error into this thread?

• Yes I can see it in my browser, but can't play anything. There's no specific error message - it just won't play! The error message when syncing is what I posted above, there's nothing more to it than that.

Here's a screen recording of the issue, record on mobile browser on desktop mode.

http://imgur.com/a/ZWWvPwz

Sorry - the sync issue should be fixed now. Thanks for the recording - can you double check if the playback issue still occurs?