New android beta crash

Updated today. Crash after few seconds after play.

Comments

• Rolled back to last version

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Thanks for letting me know. I can't see anything in the crashes logs in Google Play console yet - I'll check later.

• Ok. I used the option to send an inform.

Thanks!

• Yes, exact same issue here. I've submitted a bug report that hopefully helps track down the problem

• neasanneasan Member
    edited October 2023

Also here, when it crashes if I "Submit Feedback" is that going to you or Google (both?)? It's unclear

• I uninstalled, left the Beta and reinstalled (1.5.25, not the Beta?) and it's still crashing.

• Try the APK Gravelled distributed. It still works. I've rolled back to that version. And it has been working all morning.

1.5.25 is the current beta version.

Also here, when it crashes if I "Submit Feedback" is that going to you or Google (both?)? It's unclear

It goes to Google, but then I can see it in our developer console. I'll check again now.

Hi, I've reverted one change made that I think might be causing this. I've deployed this to internal testing within Google Play so I can make it available to you asap. Anyone that wants to try this: can you email your Google Play email addresses to info@asti.ga so I can add you to the programme?

• CoyleyCoyley Member
    edited October 2023

Hi, I have the same issue so welcome the fixed version too at [redacted]

thanks

mark

Post edited by gravelld on
    edited October 2023

I sent you that @Coyley

I've had one positive report of it working, so I've pushed the internal build to the beta test channel. It might take some days to show up unfortunately, so if you want this fix please do send me an email as above.

• I somehow missed the email with the Internal Testing Version 😬

Downloaded and installed it now.

Initially I could only get through a song as long as the screen was on.

Once I locked the phone it would get about a minute and a half into a song and pause (but not crash). Unpausing would start the song but when it paused again and I'd unpause it would restart at the first "pause point" at 1:30.

I thought this might have something to do with a sleep function so I allowed "Background Activity" and it got through three songs with the screen off.

• If your mobile phone is Xiaomi, Huawei, OPPO, etc... The aggressive battery saving mode usually kills process on background while screen is off. You have to turn off battery optimization for Astiga app.

The problem with last update was something different. It was a process crash while playing, with screen on.

• How do I roll back? I'm getting the same issue.

edited October 2023

Sorry - but the positive report I had of the internal testing version which prompted me to promote it was misunderstood by me - I shouldn't have promoted it. I'll be looking at this today.

• Uninstall. And instead of official Google Play app, install manually the APK.

Hmmmm... what version are people on? I'm getting crash reports for 1.5.25, but not 1.5.26. If you're not on 1.5.26, which should be deployed to the beta track, please update to it and let me know its stability.

Either way, please confirm your version @neasan and @kalowski

• I'm now on 1.5.26 and I since I allowed "background activity" it has worked fine.

And what about before allowing "background activity" on 1.5.26?

• It would pause when the screen was off after ~90 seconds but think this is due to OnePlus having an aggresive energy saving regime not the app itself, which was full on crashing on the old beta, screen on or off.

Since I installed the internal tesiing version/1.5.26, it has been solid with no crashes.

edited October 2023

And is it crashing for you @kalowski ? Can you describe the exact sequence of button presses to make it crash?

• I searched for an artist. Started scrolling through albums and it crashed.

However on Friday, it was crashing when playing through Android Auto in my car so initially I thought that was the issue.

I've just been looking at settings and it bumped me back to main page after about a minute. Another minute later and the app crashed (I wasn't using it,)

• Yes.

@kalowski These crashes are surprising to me - they don't seem to be related at all to the changes made.

Where changes have been made were related to foreground/background activity. This is why disabling battery optimisation is a workaround.

There are still no crash reports for 1.5.26 received.

@neasan I've replicated the same issue in standby in 1.5.26 with battery optimisations enabled. While it's a workaround to disable this, it shouldn't be needed really...

Ok - I found a bug where, if the app is destroyed by Android due to some of the more extreme (non-default) power saving modes, the app would get into a bad state and not be able to restart playing. In my tests on an Android 13 emulator it no longer stops in standby mode.

I made a mistake last time in pushing to beta too early. I will deploy this to internal testing initially and I'll send emails to all of you with problems to that list - hope that's ok. You're not actually added until you accept the invite.

@neasan Might you be able to test 1.5.27? It's in the internal track now.

@Cernunnos @slightperil I've sent you emails to invite you to try 1.5.27, if you get the chance.