New android beta crash

2»

Comments

• Installed. Will report it if I get any problem.

• Same

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Thanks!

• 1.5.27 miui battery saving system still kills the process. But it's normal. After disable it, app works fine.

Yeah - ultimately if the system decides to kill the app for some reason we have to be able to cope with that, and some sort of more extreme battery saving is an example of that. Before, though, we weren't coping properly with it, and when the app was resumed the media player would be in a weird state. That should be fixed now so we recover and can start playing again.

• My experience with version 1.5.27 on a OnePlus 10 Pro 5G running OxygenOS 13.1

• With optimisation set to auto and background processes off, goes to sleep/pauses
    • With optimisation off and background processes off, goes to sleep/pauses
    • With optimisation set to auto and background processes on, works fine.

The resume after a pause is strange as well

• Start playing, turn off screen
    • Pauses after 90 seconds or so (at point x in a song)
    • Open phone, press play and it resumes at point x, turn off screen
    • Pause after 90 seconds again (at point y in a song)
    • Open phone, press play and it resumes but at point x not point y
    • With podcasts it seems to resume back at the very start

Thanks for that report, nicely detailed.

background processes off

If this means it stops apps running in the background, I'd expect it to stop... Is this an OxygenOS thing?

The resume stuff is a separate issue I think related to the saving of points in the current playback.

• hi, my app is crashing still / as well. I would say not as fast as last week. here's what's happening: I start play a song either at the beginning or at some point, then the phone screen turns auto-off (normal behavior). after 90 seconds of playing (i timed it twice) the audio stops. When I then unlock the phone, astiga is in pause at 28 seconds after the point where I started playing the song.

I'm on 1.5.26

Ronald

edited October 2023

Sent you an email @Ronald .

Can you confirm:

• Android version
    • Device
    • Battery optimisation settings

?

Do you know the version where it last worked?

• okay... reading back the comments before: I think I fixed it by changing the battery settings for the app. it's now at "Unrestricted mode", "Allow this app to use battery in the background without restrictions"

Yeah - but if it worked before, I want to re-establish that because I don't think you should have to do that. It's odd because I can't easily see what has could be influencing this, now.

Do you know what version you had before?

Have you recently updated Android?

• Dan, I use a Samsung A52s 5G, I'm on Android 13. I did get a software update on the 14th so that was after my issues of last week (but obviously before what I observed today). The issue reappears immediately if I change battery settings back to optimized, audio stops after 90 seconds.

Sorry @Ronald - which issues of last week?

When you say "software update" - are you referring to Android or the Astiga app?

My current understanding of your issue is that before you could turn the screen off and it would continue playing. Then you updated Astiga and now, after turning the screen off, it stops playing after 90s.

• hi @gravelld , sorry for being unclear. Last week I was having the same issues as reported at the beginning of this thread. "Crash after few seconds after play." I don't know what version of Astiga that was. I did not use Astiga for this reason, then visited this page early this week, I did the upgrade of Astiga to .25, and now with battery management changed it's running ok (for me). The software update I referd to was an Android upgrade (I think minor security fix),

Looking back at the above it's a bit of a messy report - I doubt if it's of any use to you.

Ronald

edited October 2023

Thanks @Ronald , I have received a crash log from another user so I'll look into that. The trouble with this is that there are a lot of variables - OS version, software on the OS, Astiga version, phone settings, so it's sometimes difficult to isolate the issue.

Also, I have a Pixel Android 12+ device on order to make sure I can reproduce these issues faster.

I have received a hardware Android 13 device but I can't reproduce the crash. Here's what I do:

1) Start music playing in Astiga

2) Turn the screen off

3) Wait for the music to stop - happens in about 90s

4) Turn the screen back on

5) Either go into the Astiga app and press play, or press play from the notification on the lock screen

Either way it starts playing again. My reading of these crash reports is that it doesn't and a crash is reported. I can see crash reports in Google Play console and I understand the theoretical reason for the crash, but it's hard for me to understand whether I've fixed it if I can't reproduce it.

Am I at least following the correct steps above?

I have uploaded a new version with the following changes:

- More logging

- I've moved a bit of code so it's performed as early as possible. There's an outside chance this will fix the problem.

If anyone is able to run this connected to their computer with logcat, could you please run this? Even if not, it's worth trying it to see if the outside chance of the fix has worked.

So:

1) Update to 1.5.28

2) Stop the Astiga app - https://support.google.com/android/answer/9079646?hl=en-GB#zippy=%2Cclose-apps

3) Connect your phone so adb can see it (USB or wifi)

4) Run adb logcat -T 1 > 10528.logcat.txt

5) Then restart Astiga and try to reproduce the crash

Once you get the crash, send me 10528.logcat.txt

Thanks to anyone that can try it!

I've shipped a further update on this - 1.5.29. The main fix here is that I had made a change to the way the "now playing" notification is shown, but on Android 12+ this had the effect of allowing playback to be stopped when the screen was turned off.

So now, in most cases you shouldn't have the playback stop.

"In most cases" - some manufacturers (I believe OnePlus is an example) still ship battery optimizers as part of their firmware/Android builds that will kill the app's playback. In these cases you will have to whitelist Astiga so it isn't affected by the optimizer.

I'd really appreciate people trying this out and letting me know if this fixes the issues.

• Working on 1.5.29. It works fine. Also Android auto.

Thanks 🙏

• All fine here on latest versions, thank you

edited October 2023

Thanks. I'm pushing 1.5.29 to beta. Might take a day or two to be passed the Google policy review. Or: might get refused again 🙄

It's been rejected again 😑

• Used 1.5.29 this evening, turned off auto-optimisation and turned off "Allow background activity" and it worked great.

Thanks for confirming @neasan !

A new beta is available now. Hopefully I have guessed correctly as to why Google were initially refusing it - but they have accepted it now!

Note this is version 1.5.30, with the changes made to satisfy Google (making sure voice searches work on Android Auto).