Organize By Folder Structure

Hello,

First, great job with this project! I am amazed at how well this works. I currently host a Madsonic server and I am considering migrating everything over to this. One issue I am having is with the browsing functionality of Astiga. I have a very complicated library of live recordings, organized in a very specific way utilizing folder structures that is impossible to do with normal ID3 tagging. The reason I use Madsonic over all other alternatives is because it has a setting called "organize by folder structure" that allows me to browse my library using the native folder structure on my hard drive. Additionally, it still processes the ID3 tags for track titles and also processes the album artwork. I am aware that Astiga allows browsing of the folder structure, but it does not appear to process ID3 track titles or album artwork at all. Is there any way to implement browsing functionality like this?

Comments

• CoyleyCoyley Member

Viewing by folder is sometimes a helpful capability in a large library, so gets my up vote for the future.

• I just discovered Astiga a couple of days ago, and recently subscribed! This is the only wall that I am hitting. I would like to view or select from sorted material in a particular folder, but I am unable to find "the folder". I can easily get search results, but how do I return results exclusively of a particular folder (which have thousands of genre/artists)? Ultimately, I guess I could go to my cloud drive and review the folder directly. But this is a second step I'd rather not take. Without this, I feel a little blind. Please (PLEASE) implement this feature. I can see the light, just not sure where it's coming from!

Astiga is beautiful. I have tried (and using) on Web / Desktop App and Android. Works flawlessly.

• WOJWOJ Member

[UPDATE]

I am not sure if the following discovery that I just learned will help or not.

From the web version (left hand panel) scroll to the bottom, under STORAGE. In my case, it is Google Drive. Select it. From there it will show the folders that Astiga is indexing from. To the extreme right of each folder is a "+". When clicked, it will add all the content in that folder into your que'd playlist on the right of your screen (of which you can then either play or save as a playlist like usual). Be forewarned, if you have a rather large library in the folder you select, it can be resource intensive on your browser (even unresponsive) and may take a couple of minutes or so to populate your que'd music. If so, be patient as it fetches the files.

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

This sounds a little like two different requests.

The original request I think was more about browsing. Basically, a hierarchical structure defined by the folders, but individual files (tracks) should appear with their TITLE and any embedded artwork.

I guess you could further improve this by showing the folders as images using cover.jpg or whatever... or choose the embedded art that is inside the files that are inside that folder.

@WOJ It sounds like your request is more about searching within a folder. Would that be accurate?

• WOJWOJ Member
    edited October 2021

Yes, my bad if I hijacked @SaveTheRobots request. I meant no harm and will try to be more careful next time. But my vote for this request remains.

• +1 on @WOJ's suggestion as well as @gravelld's suggested improvements to my original request. Both features would be extremely useful!

@WOJ No worries! I just don't want to miss things out, and I don't want things to become less manageable either. Would it be ok if you created a new thread?

• WOJWOJ Member

@gravelld Please just delete my comments if necessary to keep it clean. Apologies.

I can do, but I don't want to lose your thoughts totally. Could you create a new thread? 🙂