Playlist synchronisation from PC to mobile doesn't work

https://community.asti.ga/discussion/169/share-current-playlist-across-devices#latest

This feature is supposed to give a pop-up on mobile to ask if you want to use the playlist from PC on mobile, but it doesn't for me. I'm on a Sony Xperia 1 II with Nova7 launcher. But it also doesn't show up with the default launcher, which did work in the past (on the same phone). Would be great if this could start working again as I often switch between devices and now need to continuously remake the same playlist on the other device.

Comments

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Are you expecting this to be visible on the launcher screen? I thought it was just within the app...

• sc68calsc68cal Member
    edited November 2021

I too have noticed that this feature is no longer working. I have Astiga version 1.5.9 on Android

I think at one time I had it stop asking me to sync currently playing across devices, but I can't for the life of me find where to turn the prompt back on

What version Android are you on?

• CambionnCambionn Member
    edited November 2021

Android 11 build 58.1.A.5.474

I'm also beta tester for Astiga's Android app, in case it matters. But this function stopped working for me far before the update op September 10. I had correspondence with Koen via mail about it. Don't know if you have access to Astiga related emails from that time. It never started working again since.

Yeah, I do have access to that. There appears to be another Android 11 related issue that has recently come up about SD card storage - although this is still unconfirmed at this time.

• Deleting app storage did give me the prompt to continue playing from where I was on PC back (an issue I had email contact about with Koen). I'm also on Android 12 by now, but as it didn't come back until I removed the app storage for the browser folder art issue, I would say that one is the fix.

I'm not sure the option existed in Android 11 tho (I remember some remove options but they seemed a bit different in my memory). I never noticed it, but I may just have missed it or it may have had a slightly different name (although with that, maybe also slightly different functionality). I don't use that part of the settings that much normally...

edited March 2022

@gravelld I'm just realising tho, the "never" button is very easy to hit by accident. Which then requires deleting all app storage (including login, cached songs, settings, etc) to be removed to make it pop up again. Makes me wonder if that's what happened before...

Perhaps the "never" could be a turned into something little bit less harsh that you can toggle back on in the settings?

I'm not sure the option existed in Android 11

Are you talking about the app storage deletion option - i.e. the option in Android?

What "never" button are you referring to? One under Android settings -> Manage apps etc?

edited March 2022

The storage deletion in Android's app settings seem necessary if you (accidentally) press "never" on the following pop-up (when opening Astiga's app, the pop-up comes from the app) and want it back.

See how close it's to the "ok" button. That combined with the nearly automatic response of dismissing pop-ups when you just quickly want to do something makes it very easy to accidentally press it. And then you need to remove all data including cache, login, settings, etc to get it back.

Putting a toggle in the settings menu seems better so it can easily be turned back on, perhaps even remove the "never" button all together and let people use the settings only to turn the functionality on or off.

The pop-up also seems a bit alarming for a feature, with the /!\ and all. But that's more design than functionality :p.

Post edited by Cambionn on

Ah yes, I understand and agree. I dislike the popup in general and feel it blocks the flow of the app. It would be better to have a toggle in the settings. It might need a little further thinking if more than two devices are used - maybe some of those should be "sync'd" and some shouldn't.

• I mean, I don't mind a pop-up asking if you want to continue or not (because sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't). I'm mainly bothered by how easy it is to dismiss it and how "difficult" to get it back.

Yeah, I understand. Maybe a halfway house is to have the popup by default, and allow the user to lock the decision from that ("don't bother me again") but as you say have it controllable from settings.

• That's exactly what I was thinking originally!

Basically the same functionality as now, beside that the "never" button can be undone in settings instead of needing such a hard reset of everything.

• I don't know if you changed anything already, but I've been having a bit of a struggle getting the popup to come up today even after manually killing the whole app on my phone and listening from PC for some time. Perhaps a button to force it somehow would be nice too?

👍️

• I also noted it doesn't seem to work (from web/desktop to mobile) if the web/desktop player is still open. It does happen occasionally I have music on my PC, go out for something then come back to continue so I don't shut down my PC. Any way it could "store" the current playlist periodically even when not closing Astiga?

Definitely a possibility...