Trouble connecting QNAP NAS using WebDAV

Hello,

So I was trying to connect my NAS to astiga using WebDAV and I keep getting a "Connection timed out" error. I don't know what I'm doing wrong in the configuration. Here it is:

Comments

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Can other services access your NAS? Can you simply access it and login with a browser (using the myqnapcloud address)?

This makes it sounds like QNAP via myqnapcloud is not possible: https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/atyiya/access_my_qnap_from_another_country_via/ (although that is four years old).

• Yes, other services can access it.

Yes I can access it, this is the myqnapcloud address in the browser:

Yeah, that link doesn't sounds very positive. What do you think, should I just give and try another cloud? I can also try to use FTP to connect to my QNAP but I had some difficulty.

I also just asked about WebDAV in the Facebook QNAP group...

Can you confirm, once you've logged into myqnapcloud, you can browse to port 5000 and you get a WebDAV response?

• Looks like I can't:

So this probably has to do with my QNAP configuration right?

It does ask me to login and then shows this screen. I'm not an QNAP admin btw

I think that will be a problem.

When you say you're "not a QNAP admin" do you mean your user you log in as doesn't have "admin" rights or do you mean you're not a QNAP expert?

I'm not sure if the user in myqnapcloud maps to the user on your NAS perfectly...

• I mean my user doesn't have admin rights. But I can easily contact the admin if that is needed.

What would you suggest?

Thanks for the help anyway

The question has now been posted on Facebook, although no replies yet https://www.facebook.com/groups/qnapadmisandusers/posts/3376764229226663/

I can try and set my own QNAP up for this and have a play around but I'm overloaded with stuff atm.

I don't want to suggest the other option because given all the NAS security issues I think you need to be 100% sure you're secure, but that option is to expose the port 5000 via your firewall and connect directly, not via myqnapcloud.

• I don't have Facebook but I'll wait for any reply.

No worries about your lack of time, totally understand it

• Can you see if it has any replies?

Unfortunately none!

I'll try this sometime this week.

edited September 2022

I tried this today, and as far as I can tell there's no way to publish WebDAV. QNAP support a bunch of services such as web browsing, shared folders etc (not via WebDAV).

There's possibly a way of making this work using NAT on your router, but this is harder to get right in a secure way. Let me know if you want help setting that up. Generally though, I wouldn't recommend it because of the potential for abuse.

• Thanks a lot for your help. Given your answer, I think I will just use another cloud service for this.

I think that's sensible! 👍️