A new look!

Comments

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Yeah - fair point. In fact, maybe I should put a popup for first time returnees now to answer the question "what the ***s happening?"

• CambionnCambionn Member
    edited September 2022

This sounds quite nice actually!

Also I agree, a bit of a headsup before release would be nice. If you hadn't told me earyesterday I would have never know until it happened. I only read the tweet about it yesterday evening as I'm not always on Twitter. Perhaps a notification (I'd say a notification bar showing under the banner, possible even removable/hideable, or something would be nicer rather than a pop-up) in advance would be nice.

Another question, I noticed every song in the current playlist has a green dot on it now, looking like a "this person is available/online" icon in chat apps like MS Teams. But then on a song. What is it for/indicating?

It's probably an oversight, we'll remove it.

edited September 2022

Found a new issue. I can't sync manually anymore. I just get an endlessly loading "about:blank" page. Requesting the last log does the same, so I cannot even check if it still syncs in general/when the last sync was.

The library management menu also has some graphical issue, seems like it might need some padding on the left side:

Thanks - unfortunately the hang is a re-occurrence of the syncing issue we had the other day. I'll fix that separately...

Just shipped a new release...

• Collapse large tag lists
    • Show what's playing in the playlist with a darker background
    • Don't go to home page when clicking album art next to a song
    • Remove the green dots next to song names in the playlist

... and...

• I'm loving the new interface more and more! Now if only the menu would stay in place while scrolling, and the interface still work completely (and are preferably not partly hidden) when the playlist is out it'll be perfect 😉.

The only thing that bothers my OCD is that the currently playing song is a bit more to the right then the other songs in the playlist:

On a positive side note, somewhere in the process of today's update the issues with my native app also are fixed both in light and dark mode, so that's great too! I guess it might have indeed be confused somewhere between my system trying to enforce dark theme while there only being one theme that's a light one. Or maybe it something else, who knows. But it works perfectly now, and that's what counts 😁.

• Alright. At least I can now confirm the auto-sync still works so I still get the music on there over time. Which is nice, since (as long as the postal company doesn't screw up) I get a huge package of CDs in today 😏

The only thing that bothers my OCD is that the currently playing song is a bit more to the right then the other songs in the playlist:

Oh - I thought I fixed that. I'll double check.

Manual sync should be working fine now btw... Enjoy the new CDs!

• Hi.

The new look is great. Love it.

The now playing cover is bigger. Great!

I like the new white theme, but it´s a good option to have a dark one too.

Thank you!!!

Any ideas to upgrade the mobile app?

Any ideas to upgrade the mobile app?

Definitely in my sights.

One idea I've had is that, given I want to continue supporting the Subsonic community, it would be really good to bootstrap an OSS project to build a new, fresh, great UX mobile client for Android and iOS. I'm thinking using something like React Native, Flutter or whatever.

• ruffinruffin Member
    edited September 2022

Can't scroll the "main view" when the queue is showing. Makes it hard to see what's in the queue and add more.

Kinda difficult to discover how to pop that queue out -- is it only that "music note on lines" button on the player or am I missing a more obvious [to others? ;D] way to show it?

I'd be tempted to show by default, not use an overlay, and have a button that swaps from > to < showing at all times at the top right to collapse/show. But that's certainly a $0.02, one person's pie in the sky kinda suggestion.

I'm thinking using something like React Native, Flutter or whatever.

Ionic? (Another $0.02 :D)

Working on the playlist now... yes, it's just the musical note.

• The new look was a bit of a shock. Thank you for being so responsive with updates, especially adding back the dark mode. But, manual sync is broken again?? And I don't seem to be getting an auto sync, either...

For sync - see the sync threads. Should be working now.

Just pushed a new update:

• The playlist now flows in the page, so hopefully the scrollbars should work better. This is except for on very narrow displays, where it works like an overlay as before because there just isn't enough width otherwise.
    • The left-hand menu is now sticky.

Two other general fixes, not related to the UI refresh:

• Fixed a scrobbling issue when the queue is emptied after playback has started.
    • Add sorting options for albums on an artist page.
    edited October 2022

Add sorting options for albums on an artist page.

I'm really glad with this one! But I found a few issues.

When the ID3 tag only has the year and an artist has multiple albums in the same year, all but one dissapear from the list. It seems the one that stays is the last folder loaded (or alfabetical) with that date 😬.

Changing the year value to YYYY-MM-DD format seems to fixed the issue (and will be more precise in sorting anyways, so I'm going to change my tags). But since year-only tags are quite common (and I expect the same issue will occurs when an artist releases 2 CDs on the same day, like very sometimes happens with split releases) you might want to look into that.

Also, right now I have to reselect sorting by release each time I go to a another artist page as well as revisit one (basically any time loading one that's not a refresh, as it now seems to be variable in the URL). Any way this setting can be saved, as I'd prefer it to always be used anyways?

The playlist now flows in the page, so hopefully the scrollbars should work better. This is except for on very narrow displays, where it works like an overlay as before because there just isn't enough width otherwise.

It seems to work perfect everywhere but the overview page. Most pages become smaller showing the same amount of entries as before sliding the playlist in (which works great). But the overview becomes smaller, then makes the entries even larger then they where before (I actually see it first just become smaller just to pop up bigger, so if that can be prevented it's already good) causing the page to become very long again as it only fits 4 entries next to each other instead of 6, making 3 rows again per categorie. Basically causing the same issue as the overview tab used to have on the initial release of the new look.

The left-hand menu is now sticky.

Yes this is perfect!

Post edited by Cambionn on
    edited October 2022

Another issue. The media buttons don't show which options are on or not. I just spend some time wondering wtf was wrong because "play random" was on... Both that one and the repeat options don't show how they are set (but they do work for switching between options), so right now you gotta try and find out.

Thanks for all this @Cambionn , will arrange into work tickets soon.

It seems to work perfect everywhere but the overview page. Most pages become smaller showing the same amount of entries as before sliding the playlist in (which works great). But the overview becomes smaller, then makes the entries even larger then they where before (I actually see it first just become smaller just to pop up bigger, so if that can be prevented it's already good) causing the page to become very long again as it only fits 4 entries next to each other instead of 6, making 3 rows again per categorie. Basically causing the same issue as the overview tab used to have on the initial release of the new look.

@Cambionn What resolution are you using to show this? Can you send a screenshot?

If I open the play queue and show either:

1. The Overview
    2. The Albums page

... the album cards are the same width and there are the same number on each row.

• Yet another one. If you go to a genre with a lot of tags, those are now nicely hidden since a previous update with a show ore button (which is good). But when you open that show more button, and click on a tag, it will load that tag's page but it'll still be disabled with the dark overlay that opened when opening the show more dialogue requiring a F5 to get the site working again.

The media buttons don't show which options are on or not. I just spend some time wondering wtf was wrong because "play random" was on... Both that one and the repeat options don't show how they are set (but they do work for switching between options), so right now you gotta try and find out.

We've changed this for the next upload, the buttons are greyed when inactive. Let us know if you think this is better.

edited October 2022

If you go to a genre with a lot of tags, those are now nicely hidden since a previous update with a show ore button (which is good). But when you open that show more button, and click on a tag, it will load that tag's page but it'll still be disabled with the dark overlay that opened when opening the show more dialogue requiring a F5 to get the site working again.

Also, the close buttons on the tag modal doesn't work! Not sure how we missed these... Actually, I think this was something else, this seems ok.

edited October 2022

It's just the overview. Tried on both a 1920x1080 (16:9) screen and a 2400x1600 (3:2). I also tested both FireFox and Edge (Chromium). The album pages and such are fine, only the overview page has the entries suddenly becoming larger after opening the current playlist. I'm at work now so screenshots will have to come later, but I'll see if I can make some gif ones tomorrow or so so you can see what happens.

Also, would it be possible to have the playlist scrolling separate from the page scrolling? So I can keep the playlist at the current height to see what's playing now and next, but scroll down on the page to choose some songs for later. Right now you scroll both or neither.

• Add sorting options for albums on an artist page.

Just noticing this isn't done on band ("album artist" in ID3) pages. Perhaps handy to have it on both? Especially since when clicking trough the pages on artist names you get on band pages some ways while in other ways you go to artist pages depending on the exact flow.

It's just the overview. Tried on both a 1920x1080 (16:9) screen and a 2400x1600 (3:2). I also tested both FireFox and Edge (Chromium). The album pages and such are fine, only the overview page has the entries suddenly becoming larger after opening the current playlist. I'm at work now so screenshots will have to come later, but I'll see if I can make some gif ones tomorrow or so so you can see what happens.

Here are two screenshots I've taken of a very wide window looking at the Overview and Albums. I think the album card are too large, as you say, but I don't see any difference in width between them.

edited October 2022

I got some quick screenshots to hopefully show it. This is on the 3:2 screen, but the behaviour on the 16:9 screen is exactly the same, it just looks even bigger there because it can fill more space on a wider screen.

This is the regular overview page. 3 categories of 2 rows of 6 entries each. This is pretty and useful to me:

Whenever I pop out the current playlist, it first simply becomes smaller. I wish it stays this way. This is the same amount of rows as without playlist and every other page does have this behaviour.

Then in less than a second time it pop's the entries bigger like the bottom screenshot, now every group takes 3 rows again instead of 2 and pictures become big. This sizing change is what I'd like to prevent. It feels worse to look at at much more disorderly for usage (to me).

Post edited by Cambionn on
  • Just drawing some extra attention to this before it gets forgotten as it's a obiter side-note in a post about the resizing now:

Would it be possible to have the playlist scrolling separate from the page scrolling? So I can keep the playlist at the current height to see what's playing now and next, but scroll down on the page to choose some songs for later (and vice versa, can scroll trough my playlist without scrolling the whole page). Right now you scroll both or neither.

Yes, I've taken note of that too.

• Some nice changes.

Two things I have noticed on the "Songs" view:

1. The header bit seems to be too wide (maybe doesn't have a float or clear attribute?) so when I go to that page I get the left hand menu, with a massive blank space on the right hand side. Then below both of them the header and the song list.
    2. I can't open the playlist

I also have the issue Cambionn is talking about but I get that on the Overview and Albums page i.e. the row is six albums wide when the playlist is closed and only four when it is open (but it does briefly have a six wide row while the playlist is being opened). I am not bothered by it particularly