Shuffle artist never starts

davvvddavvvd Member

On the Android app, selecting Shuffle on an artist brings up a Contacting Server progress animation which never goes away, and music never starts playing. I left it up for several minutes.

Comments

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

Is this the only thing that shows "Contacting Server" - can you play individual tracks, playlists or full albums?

• Yes, I can play those. I can shuffle albums and playlists as well.

Is it consistent across all artists? Can you find an artist with a very small number of tracks and shuffle them?

• Shuffling an artist with only a few tracks seems to work. Artists with lots of tracks are the only ones that seem to have this issue.

Ok, thanks, can you give me an example artist from your collection (send it via email to info@ if you would rather not share).

• You can use Lemon Demon as an example. Open their artist page, tap the ellipsis button in the top right, and choose Shuffle.

Ok, I'll have to look at that next week.

Ok, I can see what happens I think.

When I run this on my development workstation, I can see that all the tracks get duplicated. This causes a lot of network traffic. It takes a good few seconds but eventually it does return.

Could you be seeing something similar, only it is exacerbated by a slower network?

Anyway, if that is the issue I think it is caused by the playlist actually being double the size to that which it should be. The tracklist is duplicated in a similar manner to https://community.asti.ga/discussion/469/play-album-adds-2-copies-of-album-to-playlist .

• I've got a gigabit fiber connection so I don't think it's a slow network issue. Also it was taking over 5 minutes for me (after 5 minutes I gave up and hit the Back button on my phone).

Hmmm. Well what I outlined is a problem, but maybe it's not the problem here. I think I might have to issue you a build with more logging to look into what's going on. This might take a while, not least because I'm away for a few days. Could you tell me your Android version and what hardware you're using?

• I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S10 with Android 12.

Thanks 👍️