A new look!

124»

Comments

• Hi, I like the new look very much, just a very minor gripe with the web page css. 

Can you perhaps fix the width of the following element - just as a quick test in browser, width 36px seems to work fine:

<span class="jp-current-time">00:00</span>

If the width is left variable it makes the right aligned song controls (play shuffle butttons, audio bar etc.) to shuffle to the left or right by a couple pixels each time the elapsed time digits change width (which happens for example when the digit change from 1 to 2 because 2 is wider).

This happens in Opera.

• Interesting, none of those are having issues currently. They are also still synchronized. I'm resyncing the library one more time, but if it's still not working, perhaps it's better I open a separate ticket for this syncing issue as I feel like half of the later pages are about this instead of the new look and functionality :').

Also, I'm half thinking I may just change the problematic files with Astiga's meta-edit feature for now so at least stuff works, but that may also make debugging more difficult later on (especially as I can't always remember of which files are edited. Adding a view for that would help tremendously as I can then check which files won't just sync due to these edits).

If the other file is called "img.mp3" it's for artist images. Each artist image is called that, and they are all the exact same file without any ID3 tags and just a "album cover" acting like the artist image.

On a side note, the forum is still regularly freezing for times while typing comments, sometimes to the point FireFox warns me the page is stuck and asking me if I want to close it as it's freezing the whole browser.

• gravelldgravelld Administrator

@Martix Thanks very much, I'll add a ticket for that.

@Cambionn We're a couple of days away from deploying the fix for album sorting, it's your call about changing the problematic files.

Please, if you want to open a new thread for the syncing behaviour, do so. I think it's right to have it separate.

Yes, the "other file" was an img.mp3.

Regarding the forum, I've noticed this too. It seems to get worse if someone else has posted at the same time. I'm not sure if it's the Vanilla Forums software that is causing it, or a slowdown on the server...

• https://community.asti.ga/discussion/530/full-dates-dont-sync-well-on-some-files/

I made a new topic for the syncing behaviour. I think I may actually have found some lead to what's going on, so please do take a look.

👍️

We've now made the change to independent scrolling for the play queue / main content area: https://community.asti.ga/discussion/531/make-the-current-playlist-stick-when-scrolling#latest

• The fixes for album sorting were almost done but we had a last minute code review issue so we had to pull them from this release. We're working on them now and we'll get them deployed asap.

Just curious, has this been up now as well with the last deployment?

No - sorry. The code is fixed but it's just held up in code review, adding some more test cases.

Turns out that this is actually the pagination buttons at the bottom of the page - not the song titles. We're working on a fix for the next upload.

I've just made a new build and shipped it: https://community.asti.ga/discussion/comment/2085/#Comment_2085

Remember to reload those browsers!

@Cambionn We've made quite a few changes to the artist album sorting.

@neasan Hopefully your songs list will be fixed now. Remember you do need to reload the CSS, so a full browser reload.

• It is fixed, thanks!

😎

• CambionnCambionn Member
    edited October 2022

I quickly tested the worst offenders with sorting and it seems most sorting bugs are fixed now! That's great! The only thing now that's sometimes off is related to the MP3 files (among others, mp4 reads no date for example) not reading full date (so some releases on the same year are switched) but that's a separate issue from the sorting algorithm itself as we discussed in this thread: https://community.asti.ga/discussion/comment/2078#Comment_2078. So that behaviour would be expected either way.

One thing I do notice, is that artist pages now also show albums where they are no artist on. For example, the Mamamoo band pages used to show everything related to the band Mamamoo (including albums where all track artist where different), and the Mamamoo artist page used to show only the albums Mamamoo was the artist on. This was a great way to connect yet keep separated the solo works of artist who are also part of a group with each other (by setting band to the group, but artist to the member who's solo album it is. Last.FM scrobbling also went well as it just copies the artist into album artist somehow so it was working perfect everywhere), but now no longer works for that 😥. I get it's a bit abuse of a bug, but at the same time there is no better way currently to link yet separate these kinda things.

What is a bug however is that the artist listed on the Mamamoo page is Moon Byul again instead of Mamamoo. A bug that existed before when Koen still owned Astiga and got fixed back then, but now seems back. It does seem related to above point tho.

I do also have one other thing. It seems that the functions like shuffle are switched. Like, shuffle needs to be brightened up to play in order, and be the darker colour like the rest of the buttons to shuffle. It feels a bit counter-intuitive.

Thanks @Cambionn .

Could you just summarise which albums should/shouldn't be on the Mamamoo page? Are you saying: it should show tracks with Mamamoo as the ARTIST but only albums where either the BAND is Mamamoo or all of the ARTISTs?

What is a bug however is that the artist listed on the Mamamoo page is Moon Byul again instead of Mamamoo

Agree, this is a bug.

I do also have one other thing. It seems that the functions like shuffle are switched. Like, shuffle needs to be brightened up to play in order, and be the darker colour like the rest of the buttons to shuffle. It feels a bit counter-intuitive.

It should be: greyed out = disabled. Is that not what you're seeing?

edited October 2022

Could you just summarise which albums should/shouldn't be on the Mamamoo page?

Mamamoo band page: All tracks with Mamamoo als album artist (don't look at track artist).

Mamamoo artist page: All tracks with Mamamoo as track artist (don't look at album artist).

Moon Byul band page (which doesn't exist when there are no album artist tags on the name, which in and of itself is fine but see my side-note about it): All tracks with Moon Byul as album artist (don't look at track artist).

Moon Byul artist page: All tracks with Moon Byul as track artist (don't look at album artist).

But right now, the Mamamoo artist page shows the entries like I would expect from the band page, making them visually the same.

On a side note, it would be nice artists who are only track artists but never album artist could be shown if in the artist/list page directing directly to their artist page (since they don't have a band page). For example, Moon Byul is only a track artist, and therefore has no band page nor appears in the artist/list page. You'll have to go to Mamamoo then select her name if you want to go to her artist page (to see only her solo albums).

Agree, this is a bug

Ever since I used Astiga the track artist being different than the album artist on the first entry on page load/without sorting options seems to be the most troublesome behaviour when it comes to stuff on band and artist pages. Perhaps a good edge case to keep an eye on 😉.

• It should be: greyed out = disabled. Is that not what you're seeing?

It's the opposite. Disabled is a brighter colour than the other buttons, as well as brighter than the enabled mode. It's the same in FireFox as in the Chromium based app.

I just tested and I noticed that in light mode the issue doesn't exist (as well as the contrast between on and off being much bigger/more clear), so I'm guessing it's just an issue with the dark-mode colour scheme.

edited October 2022

Thanks - I've created a ticket for the dark mode/shuffle and repeat buttons issue. And also the incorrect heading (including work to create a unit test so it doesn't regress again).

Mamamoo band page: All tracks with Mamamoo als album artist (don't look at track artist).

Mamamoo artist page: All tracks with Mamamoo as track artist (don't look at album artist).

When you say tracks, do you mean tracks, or albums? Any one track of an album can have such a tag. You were writing about albums before.

I agree about tracks. The "album artist" concept means that a given artist may not be involved in a track if only AA is tagged for a given artist. Consider "Various" or a curated album.

I think the most important consideration here is that AA is far less frequently completed than A. I don't want people not to be able to see albums in the artist's album list because they haven't tagged AA.

I want the artist page to behave more generically that strictly following tagging conventions. If I click on an artist I want to show all albums for that artist - this might include both albums the artist hasn't performed, but maybe collected, curated or organised (consider "Various"). I don't want "Artist" in the UI to be exactly synonymous with the ARTIST concept in tagging, because most people are not familiar with that.

I think ultimately I would prefer to combine the artist and band pages, but then offer filters on the one-remaining page which allowed you to customise this behaviour.

Post edited by gravelld on
    edited October 2022

When you say tracks, do you mean tracks, or albums? Any one track of an album can have such a tag. You were writing about albums before.

It seems the album section on artist and band pages is simply the sum of the albums of the tracks on that page afaik. So the album section would be in this case the albums corresponding to the mentioned tracks. After all, Astiga gets all it's info from the metadata of the tracks, including which albums there are.

I think the most important consideration here is that AA is far less frequently completed than AA. I don't want people not to be able to see albums in the artist's album list because they haven't tagged AA

Euhm, AA is less completed than AA? I think you made a typo there 😋. Either way, In the current set-up I would want to keep the album artist/band pages as default, and only see the artist pages added to the list for those that don't have an album on their name to ensure they appear in the list. Mainly because it's much easier to click from a band page to an artist page than vice-versa, so taking artist page as default will make it a bit difficult to reach the band pages or each artist.

I think ultimately I would prefer to combine the artist and band pages, but then offer filters on the one-remaining page which allowed you to customise this behaviour.

This sounds good too, probably even more clean from an end user perspective. But I would indeed want to be able to customise it, so I can still filter for example everything Mamamoo members are involved in (which is what I now used the /band/ page for), as their own works only (which is what I now used the /artist/ for). But as long as that customisation is there I'm all for!

I'm even going to be so bold and ask, if you're looking into combining pages and new filter options, may you also re-look into the use of multiple entries for tags (for example by separating them with a specific character, like ';', in Astiga or whatever is de de facto standard for the format used if it exist)? I made a feature request about it back when Koen was still the owner and I remember it was a bit of a complex thing, but an option to set multiple artists, genres, etc on tags would be awesome and create huge flexibility once you get it working nicely.

It would be a much cleaner way to enter collaborations between artists. Which at best, can now have one artist on album artist and the other on track artist, at worst need to choose between which artist to enter or add ugly "feat." part in either title or artist track with their own issues to both Last.FM scrobles and adding more artists. I wouldn't mind if just the first entry would be used for scrobbles, as Last.FM doesn't allow multiple entries (and I think they'll hate you if you add them all together with '&' characters or so as that would add a lot of wrong artists into their database lol). As long as "the first entry" is based on 1st item filled in the metadata and not Astiga's sorting, people could just put the one they need scrobbled first to ensure it goes well.

Same for genres, much of my library doesn't fit in 1 genre, so if I could tag since with multiple that would be so clean. Imagine if I could tag my Korean hip-hop tags as both Kpop and Hip-Hop, or Tarja Turunen's classical christmas releases as both classical and seasonal. Or metal releases as both metal in general as their subgenre (so black metal releases could be put into a "metal" and "black metal" category).

Post edited by Cambionn on

Sorry - yes I meant AA is less completed than A, thanks for pointing it out. I've edited it, but left your quote. I'll come back and digest the rest of this next week...

I'm even going to be so bold and ask, if you're looking into combining pages and new filter options, may you also re-look into the use of multiple entries for tags (for example by separating them with a specific character, like ';', in Astiga or whatever is de de facto standard for the format used if it exist)?

I wouldn't call this a particularly "bold" ask - you see this feature in quite a few players. It's not just implemented with a delimiter; different tagging schemas also support multiple values for a field.

Library management is one of my big passions and I have some quite big plans in this area, but certainly longer term ones.

• The new update made the left-hand menu unsticky again D:

I guess that's a bug and not on purpose?

It's a bug - there's also an issue with the left-hand nav not reloading when you click settings until you press refresh... we'll have fixes tomorrow.

• buppibuppi Member

Got this banner notification with the new update and it's real hard to read in dark mode

https://imgur.com/a/fwylFSl

• buppibuppi Member

Also a minor usability thing, but why are the 'Settings' menu, dark mode toggle, and 'Sign out' button hidden in the upper right user icon drop down rather than listed in the left hand navigation bar like the various 'services' menus? Personally I use Settings a lot more often than I add new storage. connect apps, or re-subscribe to premium Astiga.

Thanks for the screenshot @buppi we'll look into that tomorrow too.

I feel it's standard practice to have settings and similar preference options regarding the use of the service extended from a profile user icon, so that's where most people will expect to find them.

• buppibuppi Member

That makes sense, I guess what I was hung up on is all the app connections, storage management, subscriptions, that all seems like 'use of the service' functionality rather than the functionality I'm really using the app for, so I would expect them to be in the profile menu as well. I'm new to management of large personal libraries outside of itunes/GPM tho so my experience is coming from a much more casual place. Thanks!

Yes, I was wondering that myself. Some of those - support, apps - are informational pages really. The Premium page should maybe become an "Account" section in the settings. That might be where we end up - this initial restructure was really about fixing initial day-to-day friction of the storage stuff getting in the way.

The sticky menu, incorrect left-hand menu and the dark-mode headers have been fixed in the new version.

Also - if possible please create new threads for distinct issues; it makes it easier to mark things as "done" and such issues are separate to the original UI refresh, imo.